Sensory Support Services
Aberdeenshire Sensory Support Service is a peripatetic service staffed by:
- Teachers who specialise in working with pupils with a hearing or visual impairment
- Communicators qualified and experienced in using either British Sign Language or Braille
- Early Years Deaf Support Worker experienced in working with children who have a hearing impairment
Who do we work with?
- Babies, children and young people with a hearing or visual impairment until they reach school leaving age
- Parents and carers
- Staff in schools
- Other agencies e.g. Health , Social Services
- Third Sector organisations
When do we become involved?
- Within weeks of a diagnosis of hearing/visual impairment being made
- When a referral is made by a hospital specialist, a parent/carer, school or partner agency
Where do we provide support?
- In the home if the child is under three
- In a playgroup or nursery
- In any local authority school
What do we do?
- Assess a child’s hearing or vision and then offer recommendations on how the child’s needs can best be met
- Provide information, practical help, and advice
- Provide support in the use of specialist resources to promote independence
- Support the development of language and communication skills in pupils with a hearing impairment
- Advise and support staff in how to promote inclusion
- Work alongside teachers where pupils use Sign or Braille
- Organise mobility training/life skills for pupils with severe visual impairment
- Monitor a pupil’s progress and provide reports
- Attend meetings to review progress and plan for the future
Please refer to guidance on physical adjustments and improving access to the school environment and communication for parents/carers.
Contact: Sensory Support Service, Westhill Academy, Hay’s Way, Westhill
Aberdeenshire AB32 6XZ
Tel: 01224 744 786
Fax: 01224 743 568
Email: sensory email@example.com